Self-defense ruled in the death of Wesley Camp at realty company Christmas party

Lexington Police Department photo

Lexington Police Chief Terrence Green is providing details on the shooting death investigation that has been ongoing since it occurred on December 20, 2019, and he would also like to offer condolences to the family and friends of Wesley Warren-Camp.

At approximately 11:36 p.m., officers with the Lexington Police Department were dispatched to a shooting that had occurred during a Christmas party at Southern Dreams Realty, which is located at 102 Gantt Street in the Town of Lexington.

William Camp, Jr. LPD photo.

Upon arrival, officers found Wesley James Warren-Camp, age 26 of Lexington, lying on the ground in the parking lot of the business with a gunshot wound to the chest. Officers immediately began administering first aid but he was unresponsive and without a pulse. County of Lexington EMS personnel arrived on scene and declared Wesley Warren-Camp to be deceased.

Officers made contact with Glenn Wilbur Rowe, Jr., age 46 of Leesville, who had shot Wesley Warren-Camp, securing a handgun found nearby and placed him in handcuffs due to being in investigative detention. Glen Rowe, Jr., spoke with officers stating that he shot Wesley Warren-Camp during a fight where both Wesley Warren-Camp and his father, William Douglas Camp, Jr., had assaulted him when he and his wife had attempted to leave the party.

Due to injuries sustained during the assault which required medical attention, Glen Rowe, Jr., was released from investigative detention and transported from the scene by EMS to the Lexington Medical Center.

During the course of this multi-week investigation, a timeline of what occurred leading up to the shooting was created along with information verified through multiple interviews of witnesses and those involved in the incident.

Calvin Lee Brown- LPD photo.

Detectives learned that a physical fight had occurred during the party between Wesley Warren-Camp and William Camp, Jr. The father and son were separated and Wesley Warren-Camp was taken outside onto the porch of the business where he continued to be enraged while being held by several male attendees who were at the party.

After being involved in separating the father and son from their fight, Glenn Rowe, Jr., and his wife decided to leave. While walking across the parking lot, another attendee of the party, Calvin Lee Brown, age 51 of Lexington, retrieved a handgun from his vehicle and fired several rounds in an attempt to disperse the crowd. Calvin Brown then got into his vehicle and left the scene.

As Glenn Rowe, Jr., and his wife were getting into their vehicle, he was approached by Wesley Warren-Camp while the driver side truck door was still open. Glenn Rowe, Jr. was then pulled from the vehicle by Wesley Warren-Camp and he began to physically assault him. William Camp, Jr., seeing his son assaulting Glenn Rowe, Jr., came over and also began assaulting him as well. Glenn Rowe, Jr., was repeatedly struck in the face and body and each time he attempted to get back into his vehicle, the pair would pull him out of the truck door to continue with the assault.

During an attempt to re-enter his truck, Glen Rowe, Jr., was able to grab his handgun while again being pulled from the vehicle by Wesley Warren-Camp and William Camp, Jr. Laying on his back while being struck in the head, Glen Rowe, Jr., fired one round from his handgun into the upper body of Wesley Warren-Camp, who was standing over him, which ended the assault.

During interviews immediately after the incident and then during follow up interviews with detectives, Glenn Rowe, Jr., stated that he feared for his life, that he was beginning to lose consciousness due to the continued strikes to the face by the two men and that he also worried about the safety of this wife who was witness to the assault and had attempted to pull Wesley Warren-Camp and William Camp, Jr. from her husband.

Medical records from Lexington Medical Center show that Glenn Rowe, Jr., suffered a broken orbital socket along with lacerations to the face and head with contusions over much of his body.

This case was presented to the 11th Circuit Solicitor’s Office and it was determined that Glenn Rowe, Jr., acted lawfully in self-defense in the shooting death of Wesley Warren-Camp and no charges will be filed.

Calvin Brown, who had fired the gun outside of the party, was stopped immediately after leaving on the 200 block of East Main Street by Lexington Police Department officers. He was charged with Driving Under the Influence. The handgun that he fired at the party was found in his vehicle and he has been charged with Unlawful Use of a Firearm and Discharging a Firearm in Town Limits.

For his role in the assault of Glenn Rowe, Jr., William Camp, Jr., has been charged with Assault & Battery, 2nd Degree.

On January 15, 2020, Calvin Brown and William Camp, Jr., turned themselves on the above charges and they are being held at the Lexington County Detention Center awaiting Bond Court.

Chief Terrence Green said, “This was a tragic and chaotic incident and I appreciate the patience shown from those involved, along with the community, while detectives have worked through every aspect of this case to bring it to a conclusion.

Thank you to the County of Lexington Coroner’s Office, the State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) and the 11th Circuit Solicitor’s Office for their assistance throughout this investigation.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *